|Real Name||Shawn Peter Raul Mendes|
|Date of Birth||August 8, 1998|
|Birth Place||Toronto, Canada|
|Girlfriends/Affairs||Taylor Swift (Rumored)|
Chole Grace Moretz (Rumored)
Camila Cabello (Rumored)
|School||Pine Ridge Secondary School, Pickering, Ontario, Canada|
|Hobbies||Playing Ice Hockey and Soccer|
Shawn Mendes Bio / Wiki
Shawn Mendes is a Canadian pop singer and songwriter as well. After uploading a series of his cover versions to various video-sharing sites (beginning with the now-defunct application Vine in 2012), Mendes earned a dedicated following that he cultivated through social media outlets. His talent, teen-idol attractiveness and built-in fan base quickly landed him a record deal. In 2014 his debut single, “Life of the Party,” charted at No. 24 on the Billboard 100, making the then 15-year-old Mendes the youngest artist to create a debut song in the top 25.
Although he has been dubbed “the next Justin Bieber” — both are good-looking, successful and Canadian — his acoustic-driven and catchy songs are more aligned together with his idol Ed Sheeran’s music genre and Mendes quickly transitioned to writing his own songs. His loyal fans have supported his platinum-selling hits, also as arena-size world tours, both as an opening act for Taylor Swift and as a headliner.
The teen population in the US dominates the music market and for sure, their preferences are for musicians more in line with their age. Given this, young talent has been on the rise and youngsters are very well received by the US market. Shawn Mendes is one such young blood who has done very well at a young age by appealing to the mass population. He has flourished both as a singer and songwriter and has also collaborated with many other young stars to further his stardom. His albums have sold thousands of copies and have all done very well on the Billboard charts, being widely appreciated by the general public . He has also done well in rankings relating to others of his age and this is often a tribute to how fast he has climbed up the ladder of success.
Shawn Mendes Height / Weight / Age
Shawn is 187 cm tall and in feet inches, his height is 6’ 2”. His weight is approximately 80 kg or 176 lbs. His hair and eye color are Dark Brown. He was born on 8 August 1998, so his age is 21 years in 2019.
Shawn Mendes Education/ Family
He did his schooling from Pine Ridge middle school, Pickering, Ontario, Canada and he has not graduated. His father is Manuel Mendes is a businessman, his mother is Karen Mendes is a Real Estate agent. Aaliyah Mendes is his sister.
Shawn Mendes Songs & Albums
‘Stitches’ Hits the top 10
In the year 2014, Mendes released his Island Records debut, The Shawn Mendes EP, which soared to No. 5 on the music charts with sales topping 100,000. In 2015 he released his full-length debut, Handwritten, which came out at No. 1 in both the U.S. and Canada. The single “Stitches” fared even better by reaching No. 1 in European music charts and also the Top 10 in North America. Added onto that, his song “Believe” was featured within the Disney Channel musical Descendants.
Mendes and Camila Cabello: ‘I Know What you did Last Summer’
While travelling with Taylor Swift on her 1989 World Tour, Mendes collaborated with Fifth Harmony’s Camila Cabello on the track “I Know What you did Last Summer,” which became a Top 20 hit in the U.S. and Canada.
The track “Treat You Better” was also released shortly afterward and become a Top 10 hit.
‘Illuminate’ & World Tour
In September 2016, Mendes released his second album, Illuminate. Describing his sophomore project, the budding artist found it to resemble the kinds of Ed Sheeran and John Mayer, and keep with those two artists, Mendes did virtually all of the songwriting for it. His efforts were an enormous success, as he topped the charts and went platinum in the U.S. and Canada.
Just two months later, Mendes issued Live at Madison Square Garden, followed by a world tour in 2017. After releasing another Top 10 hit with “There’s Nothing Holdin Me Back,” Mendes also made a record with MTV Unplugged.
The Meteoric Rise to Stardom
His first claim to fame was the creation of short clips of famous songs and these soon became successful , receiving many views online. Mendes never looked back after this first success and with the assistance of his record producer released his first single – ‘Life of the Party’ in 2014. This single made him the youngest artist to interrupt a single into the top 25 of the Billboard Hot 100. During this point , Mendes also teamed up with another up and coming young star– Austin Mahone. Together they undertook a nationwide tour which proved to be highly popular. These initial successes resulted in the sale of thousands of copies of his debut EP and also won him his first Teen Choice Award in 2014.
In early 2015, Mendes’s fame grew further when he released his new album-‘Handwritten’. It skyrocketed to the top of the Billboard 200 chart selling over a 100,000 copies in its first week. This outlined the astronomical success that Shawn Mendes had in only several months post his bursting onto the scene in 2014. He had already become a household name and his fame increased further through his single – ‘Stitches’. It hit number #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and have become the first single that Mendes had got into the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 in his career.
This single continued to grow in popularity and also peaked in the charts in the UK and also gave him a chance to further his fame through him playing openings acts for other skilled stars. His fame was recognized more and more as time went on. He was listed among Time’s The 25 Most Influential Teens in 2014 and 2015. This further emphasized the expansion of his stardom. Towards the end of 2015, Mendes teamed up with Camila Cabello to release a track together called – ‘I know what you did last summer.’ there have been several rumors of the two dating which was majorly in the news.
Soon after, Mendes began his tour of Europe and this helped him in gaining further fame and stardom. Through the first half 2016, Mendes was performing on and proceeded to subsequently release his next single ‘Treat you Better’ which was a part of his studio album ‘Illuminate.’
Shawn Mendes Net Worth
Breaking Down Shawn Mendes’ Net Worth. Shawn Mendes has indeed made his mark on the music scene and is a favorite among teenage and young fans. He even made the Forbes Celebrity 100 list and has the distinction of being the youngest self-made millionaire of 2019 with a net worth of $170 million.
Shawn Mendes Controversies
Shawn Mendes faced a racist backlashing when he posted an image of him along with his hair standing straight up at the end and captioned it, ” I have AN AFRO! lmao”. He was called a racist by many. However, his fans supported him and said his post was misunderstood.
The teen megastar found himself in another controversial situation when he refused to give an autograph to a person. According to the singer, he felt the person might try to sell his autograph to his young fans, hence refused. However, after a lot of drama, Shawn agreed to give him one.
Few Unknown Facts About Shawn Mendes
- Shawn Peter Raul Mendes’ father is a Portuguese, while his mother is an English. He and his younger sister live, along with their parents live in Toronto, Canada.
- The young Canadian singer learned to play guitar through YouTube tutorials and shortly after started posting videos on Vine he gained many followers and viewers. By, August 2014, Shawn was the third most followed musician on the app.
- In January 2014, Andrew Gertler an American talent manager discovered the young, energetic singer online and brought him to ‘Island Records’ where Shawn signed his first single, ‘The life of The Party.’
- Before he became a star , Mendes was one among the Vine members of ‘Magcon Tour’ with a large number of followers.
- In 2015, Shawn Mendes released his first full-length album ‘Handwritten’ which debuted at the number one on Billboard 200. In the first week itself, 106,000 copies of the album were sold and ‘Stitches’ the third single from the album, gained the highest position in the UK.
- The teen singer recorded, ‘Believe’ for the Disney original movie, ‘Descendants.’
- He listed among the 25 most influential teens for the years 2014 and 2015. Shawn also made it to the list of “30 under 30′ by Forbes, in 2016.
- In early 2016, the singer signed with ‘Wilhelmina models.’
- With ‘Treat You Better’ because the lead single, Shawn released his second album ‘Illuminate’. During this album, he showed his new direction towards, soft classic rock groove. ‘Mercy’ was the second single from the album which entered the top 20 list both in the US and UK.
- He collaborated with Camila Cabello(former member of the famous girl-band ‘Fifth Harmony’) and released ” i know What you did Last Summer’. This song later was added to, ‘Handwritten Revisited reissue.’
- Shawn Mendes, on his Illuminate world tour in April 2017, released ‘There’s Nothing Holdin Me Back’ for his Illuminate Deluxe Edition.
- The 18-year-old singer does many events, and therefore the tickets are often bought, from his official website.
- Though, Shawn officially is single, has been rumored to have romantic connections with quite few young and famous names.
- Shawn has two tattoos, one on his right forearm (shown in public) and the other on his upper right arm.
Shawn Mendes Instagram, Twitter, YouTube